Monday, October 27, 2008

Suicide

Wow, so is Hedda like Adela or what? In "The House of Bernarda Alba" Adela killed herself because she thought that her power and freedom was stripped from her when Pepe "died." In comparison, Hedda killed herself in "Hedda Gabler" because she felt that her power was stripped from her when Judge Brack was able to blackmail her. (Now I may be wrong. So correct me if I am. I do believe Hedda killed herself for that reason, but it could also be that she didn't her secret about what happened with Lovborg to be revealed.) But, anyway do you guys agree that Hedda and Adela seem very similar in character? They do to me, and hey, it makes for a good World Lit Paper topic. Why is it that these women, Hedda in particular, feel that death (suicide) is a sufficient way to free themselves from the power of others?

No comments: